"Demons"- 1st Musical Analysis Blog

                                                           "Demons"- 1st Musical Analysis Blog 

Everyone has different tastes in music. Certain tones or the way a song brings back certain memories. For me, I like songs that resonate deep inside. Such songs that well long after it's ended, still vibrates in my soul. So for this assignment, I decided to write about "Demons" by Imagine Dragons.



The song was written by Alex da Kid, Ben Mckee, Dan Reynolds, Daniel Wayne Sermon, Josh Mosser, and produced by Alex da Kid. It was released in January 28, 2013. Although quite short, at only 2:57, it was by no means cast aside easily. Logging 61 weeks on the Hot 100, "Imagine Dragons became the first act to have two songs that spend at least 60 weeks on the chart. (Radioactive spent a record-breaking 87 weeks on the Hot 100 (Songfacts.)

In the music video, we see various characters with personal hardships. "The meaning imposed is that most don't see beyond the face that everyone puts on for the public" (Wikipedia.) That is one of the reasons why it resonates with me.

Melody, Intervals, Lyrics, and Chorus.

All four of these elements help create the tone of the song. The song immediately starts with the lyrics with the melody barely there until the powerful chorus hits with the statement:

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide
Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide" 

Then it hushes back to the melancholy tone until the chorus returns. 

Dynamics, Rythm, and Articulation 

The melody starts out with a quiet rythm and slowly gets louder and faster as it nears the chorus. Then it fades back to the background, letting the vocals take charge. The song continues this rythm until cutting off right after the last chorus is sung. 


The whole song conveys how we never know what a person is going through and all the "demons" they battle. The melody powers the lyrics subtly until the chorus where it lets go of the melancholy tone and takes on a more energetic/fighting one. 


Sources:

Imagine Dragons, "Imagine Dragons-Demons (Official Video). Youtube, 7 May 2013, youtube.com/watch?v=mWRsgZuwf_8 .  Accessed 16 Sept. 2021 . 

Songfacts, "Demons."https://www.songfacts.com/facts/imagine-dragons/demons  Songfacts®, Accessed 16 Sept. 2021 .

Wikipedia, "Demons (Imagine Dragons song)". Wikipedia Foundation, Last updated:15 Sept. 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demons_(Imagine_Dragons_song) 


Comments

  1. Emily!

    I absolutely love this song! I haven't thought about it in years and I'm extremely happy to have chosen your blog to comment on just for the fact that you reminded me of this song, so thank you for that! I also agree that finding a song that really gets you in your feels not only during but also after it ends is something that I really enjoy.

    Thanks again!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I was so excited to see this song pop up on your blog, it has been one of my favorites for years:) I agree with your statement, it is definitely a song that vibrates in your soul long after it has ended. I like that you pointed out a part of the song where the melody actually overpowers the lyrics. I find this musical element to be true in many of their other songs, which makes for an interesting listen. This song can easily be internalized and you did a great job of explaining the deeper meaning in the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this song. When I heard it on the radio for the first time I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics, I thought it was just another catchy tune by Imagine Dragons, but after listening to it a few more times and hearing what he is singing caught me off guard a little bit. This song is so deep but it's accompanied by such catchy beats that it's hard to focus on the sadness in this song. I found this article about the singer of this band, Dan Reynolds, opening up about his struggles with depression and a little more information about how this song was written and how they got inspiration for the lyrics. He also talks about his struggle with his faith and not knowing where he belonged. It's a super interesting read.
    Article: https://www.simplemost.com/imagine-dragons-dan-reynolds-talks-depression/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily. This is my kind of song. I too love songs that move my heart and mind. I’ve heard this song before but haven’t really listened to the lyrics. I liked how you added the chorus in to your analysis. It led me to research what the song was about. Below is a YouTube video by The Pop Song Professor which explained it more for me.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPHH_4VG-I


    I agree with you that it’s about overcoming our own personal demons. The song begins with how things have gone bad in life and describes their own Demons. The lyrics note that it’s his own “kingdom come” which may not be a nice place. That is a little dark and depressing. Then the song states for others to be careful then asks for someone with light in their eyes to help them.

    This song is a lot about the beat and tempo which brings up feelings for me. There’s the melody of the vocals, then the addition of the guitar, then it builds with the beat of the chorus. Thanks for bringing back an oldie but goodie. The song now means more to me than just the beat and melody! -Doris Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily,
    I can't tell you how many times I have heard this song, and I really like it as well, but because you chose to analyze it this is the first time I truly listened to the lyrics. It never really hit me how impactful they are. I agree that "The whole song conveys how we never know what a person is going through and all the 'demons' they battle." However, to me it sounds like the person singing feels he is damaged beyond repair. He's crying out for help, but he is worried about tainting those he cares about.
    "I wanna hide the truth
    I wanna shelter you
    But with the beast inside
    There's nowhere we can hide"
    He wants to protect who he cares about by not letting them in and to see who he really is.
    "Your eyes, they shine so bright
    I wanna save that light
    I can't escape this now
    Unless you show me how"
    He wants to get better, he wants to feel good, but he can't do it on his own. He needs help, but doesn't want to bring down the person he cares about.
    "When you feel my heat
    Look into my eyes
    It's where my demons hide
    It's where my demons hide
    Don't get too close
    It's dark inside
    It's where my demons hide
    It's where my demons hide"
    The last time he sings this chorus the melody gets very loud and he sings it very powerfully. Almost like he is ready to start to fight his demons, unfortunately I feel like he still thinks he has to do it alone. This is only my interpretation, but that is how it resonates with me. I almost always feel like I have to take on my battles on my own. Whenever I am really struggling I won't tell those I care about because I don't want to bring them down with me. It's my demons that I have to face on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily! You did a great job breaking down this song. I like that you included some song lyrics that stand out to you. Personally, I find this song very annoying because I can't help but hear my little brother singing it in the back of my head and it drives me nuts! However, I do like the message behind the words in the song. Listening to it, the beat definitely works in this song and I can see how you and many others can "go internal" when listening to this song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, The beat and flow of the song is amazing! I've sung this song a million times but after watching the music video and lyrics it really helped me to understand the story and meaning behind it! We all have baggage within us that we don't want others to know about, but we also have lots to offer beyond our demons. Great song choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evolutions of the Hurdy-Gurdy Instrument

Role of the Performer: Lindsey Stirling.